To My Readers



If this is the first time you're visiting my blog, thank you. Whether you're interested or just curious to find out about PCB reverse engineering (PCB-RE), I hope you'll find something useful here.

This blog contains many snippets of the content in my books to provide a more detailed overall sampling for my would-be readers to be better informed before making the purchase. Of course, the book contains more photos and nice illustrations, as evidence from its cover page. Hopefully, this online trailer version will whet your appetite enough to want to get a copy for yourself.

Top Review

I started doing component level repair of electronics with (and without) schematics more than 40 years ago, which activity often involves reverse-engineering of printed circuit boards. Although over the years my technical interests have shifted into particle beam instrumentation, electron microscopy, and focused ion beam technology fields, till this day——and more often than not——PCB repairs have returned multiple multi-million-dollar accelerators, FIB, and SEM instruments back to operation, delivering great satisfaction and some profit.

Many of the methods described by Keng Tiong in great details are similar to the approaches I've developed, but some of the techniques are different, and as effective and useful as efficient and practical. Systematic approach and collection of useful information presented in his books are not only invaluable for a novice approaching PCB-level reverse engineering, but also very interesting reading and hands-on reference for professionals.

Focus on reverse engineering instead of original design provides unique perspective into workings of electronics, and in my opinion books by Keng Tiong (I've got all three of them) are must-read for anybody trying to develop good understanding of electronics——together with writings by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, Phil Hobbs, Jim Williams, Bob Pease, Howard Johnson and Martin Graham, Sam Goldwasser, and other world's top electronics experts.

Valery Ray
Particle Beam Systems Technologist

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Dear Reader


The following is an excerpt from the Preface of my memoir. I have named it Dear Reader to sound personal to those who may decide to pick up the book and read the story of my engineering journey. Here you go...

The book you hold in your hands began not as a book but as a series of moments—small decisions, unexpected turns, challenges faced and overcome. For much of my life, I did not think of my journey as remarkable. I was simply doing what needed to be done: learning my craft, supporting my family, solving the problems that landed on my workbench.

It was only later, after thirty years in the engineering trenches, after I had written six technical books and begun to reflect on the path that brought me there, that I realized my story might have value beyond the circuits and schematics.

This is a book about electronics. But it is also a book about life. The two, I have come to understand, are not so different.

A circuit is a system of connections. Components linked by traces, signals flowing along paths designed for purpose. When the system works, we barely notice it. When it fails, we must face and resolve the issue—tracing the broken connection, identifying the failed component, understanding why the expected behavior has stopped.

Life is the same. 

We are all systems of connections: to family, to work, to dreams and duties and the people who depend on us. When life proceeds smoothly, we take it for granted. When crisis strikes—as it did for me, weeks after my polytechnic graduation, when my father's failing health rewrote my future—we must take charge and make sense of our own existence.

Why am I here? What matters most? Which way do I go when the path I planned is suddenly closed?

I am an engineer. I think in systems, in connections, in causes and effects. But I am also a son, a brother, a husband, a writer, and a witness to my own time. This memoir is my attempt to trace the full schematic of my life—to show you the components, the connections, the unexpected paths that current can take when it encounters resistance.

My life has had its share of setbacks and unforeseen circumstances. Yours likely has as well. That is the human condition—to face challenges we did not ask for, to walk roads we did not choose.

But here is what I have learned:

The road still leads somewhere. The circuit still completes. And the person you become along the way—the skills you develop, the wisdom you gather, the strength you never knew you had—that person is no accident. That person is you, forged by experience, connected to all that came before and all that will follow.

Keep your spirits high, reader. The path ahead may not be the one you planned. But it is yours, and it is leading you exactly where you need to go. Remember: you are never alone. Many have walked the journey before you, and many more will follow after you. "How can you be so sure?" you ask.

Well… I offer my story as proof.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment