However, a seed has been sown since that meeting, and I have been quietly working on the framework of a discipline—Engineering Sovereignty. I wouldn't be surprise if many in the industry are not aware of this term. Most companies are more concerned about solving their immediate engineering problems than retaining valuable knowledge that is locked in the minds of their best engineers.
I'm not saying they lack sound practices in their organizational processes; but documenting technical designs of their products alone do not ensure that the know-how and experiences of their brilliant engineers, accummulated and built-up over the span of their career, are accurately and reliably passed on to the next generation. Personal legacy and skills can only be transmitted via mentoring and meticulous apprenticeship.
The Charter Seal above gives a concise definition on this concept of Engineering Sovereignty, and it is not only applicable to the military but commercial organizations as well. The first volume on this subject is near completion. I have kept it under wraps until now, while working in tandem with my Solutions on Obsolescence books, which were recently released. Although they belong to different series, they are related in regard to the challenges faced by many organizations today.
More will be revealed once the first draft of Volume 1 is ready. Until then, you may want to secure copies of the Solutions to Obsolescene books (click the book covers to go to the Amazon bookstore to order).









No comments:
Post a Comment